Saturday, May 10, 2008

Getting started

A friend recently asked me what I thought of blogging. I said it would have been great to get into a few years ago, but I just didn't see the point of starting a blog in 2008. The market is already saturated, and blogging seems so 2003. I think I did not say that I also have a horror of failing at blogging, which I suppose I would define as not attracting an audience, links, etc. So why have I turned around and begun blogging?

Well, this blog serves a particular purpose and commands (one hopes) a certain audience. My wife Ally, our toddler Eli, and I are going to France for six weeks. A blog provides the best way to keep all the people interested in this trip informed about what we're doing--particularly what Eli's doing. I also think this will be a nice way to document the trip. Maybe Eli will be interested in it someday. But, when the trip's over, so's the blog.

So the main emphasis will be Eli's experience in France. Of course, I can't promise that I won't branch out into more general travel writing and "here's what I'm thinking about as I sip my coffee" blogging. The medium demands it, right? And I can't resist the notion of sharing my aperçus as they occur to me.

C'est à dire, welcome to Eli Goes to France.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But, when the trip's over, so's the blog."

Neil Gaiman said something similar about the American Gods blog. The quicksand's deep, traveler; the urge to post may become a habit. Not that there's anything WRONG with that.