I didn't take any pictures today!
Mary and Christopher had to catch their flight home from Marseille today. The taxi came for them at four-fifteen in the morning. We imagine they got back okay and hope they'll let us know. Eli went looking for them when he got up at eight and was pretty disappointed not to see them. The weather was pretty foul in the morning but got better later on.
Ally went to work and I got to play with Eli all day. We went to the big Monop' again for groceries. The grocery department is on the lower floor, and there's no elevator, so it was a bit of an adventure for me and Eli. I got him some new foods that I hope he'll like. He enjoyed the meat-substitute patty I served him for lunch, and took to the baby biscuits as well. I treated myself to an old favorite: Sodebo refrigerator pizza. (French grocers know that not all apartment-dwellers have good freezers, so there are lots of foods that are meant to be refrigerated whereas in America we would only have a freezer version. That's not to say that frozen foods aren't also available in France; quite the contrary.)
Mary and Christopher left, but replacing them are Ally's mother Jenafer; her boyfriend Marty; and her mother Patricia, whom everyone calls "Nano." That's what Ally called her when she was a toddler, and the name stuck. They came down from Dijon today and will be with us in Aix until Saturday, when we leave, too.
We met our visitors at the Hotel Negrocoste, where Nano is staying, and brought them over for dinner. I made pasta with our lardon sauce. We've been making this since 2002. Ally reminded me tonight that we actually got it from the "Produce Pete" segment on the midday news when we lived in Nice. If there were lardons in America, we'd make it there. (You could dice rashers of bacon to get the same effect, but my Publix does not stock rashers.)
Tomorrow I will probably show Ally's relatives around Aix, including of course the Tuesday market, then work on my project.
Today is not Memorial Day in France. It is just a regular Monday.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We made it home safely. Very tired. We think Delta was trying to starve us to death. Miss you all already. We'll try to chat on-line this week. Give Eli a big kiss for us.
Mary & Chris
Post a Comment