Sunday, June 15, 2008

Winding down

As we come into our last few days in France, I thought I would update you all on my work this trip. Since arriving in Paris last weekend, I've been busy scurrying all over the city (like one of the rats who actually live in the sewers and fictionally - we hope - in Paris's top animated kitchens) trying to get as much done as possible. I've bounced from the archives of the army (housed in the Vincennes Castle on the far east side of town) to the national library (south of the Seine), to the national archives (back in the Marais (!) in the center of the city). This week, I'll have to return to the national archives, the national library, and - unexpectedly - back to Vincennes, this time for the archives of the navy. Luckily, as I comb through the registers and inventories of the archives I find very few things that are new. Unfortunately, I keep finding new books and new angles to explore, and there is no more time. After this trip, I'm done with the research and it will just have to be good enough. Anything I can't get through interlibrary loan I'll have to do without. (Though if there is anything major that I need, I can always hire someone on site to photograph the relevant file - vive la téchnologie!)

Beyond the research, things have been going well. Eli has been a real champ throughout all the moves and the new experiences. We could not be prouder of our little man. He has welcomed each of our guests with smiles, love, and slobbery kisses. I am so glad he's had all this time getting to know his family better. He loves his grandparents, aunt, and uncle so much.

We've gotten time as a family to do some pretty incredible things. From our drive through the Luberon, to time strolling through my favorite city in Europe (Lyon), to a variety of merry-go-rounds old and new, we have all seen and done things that Abe and I will never forget. In the meantime, Eli has added new words, new sounds, new sights, and new tastes to his repertoire. He's discovered what fruit should taste like. He knows there is always good dance beats on French radio at 6:00 a.m. (Thanks NRJ). His walking has improved enormously (thanks to long walks in Aix with Nano, Gramma J and Marty, and what seemed like endless trips up and down the hills of our neighborhood parks in Paris with Granddad Sam). And, most of all, he's encountered almost every size and shape of train known to man and he loves them all. Guh GUH!

Abe and I have really enjoyed the trip, our visits, and our quality family time. We feel now like experts in Eli's language (Binglish) and we're going to head home a stronger family. I'll dive into writing (after setting up our new summer sitter schedule) and Abe will plunge into the summer of law in Birmingham. We might not see him much for 6 weeks, but we're sure glad we had him for this past six weeks. Eli, as ever, will delight and amaze at every turn.

A demain!

No comments: